Ballantines 15YO 700ml
- Scottish Blends
In 1865, grocer George Ballantine delegated the running of his Edinburgh store to his eldest son, Archibald, while he opened a larger establishment in Glasgow, where began to create his own blends as well as cater to the Royal Family. In less than a decade, the company added a bonded warehouse empire and became an exporter of Scotch whisky. The business continued to thrive under his younger son George junior. The Ballantine's family finally capitalised on their success in 1919, accepting a buy-out offer from the firm of Barclay and McKinlay. Retaining the reputation and goodwill of the former company name, the new owners began the development of Ballantine's as a brand name for the blends they had inherited. But increasingly substantial resources were needed to compete fully in the growing world market. These were provided in 1937 by Hiram Walker Gooderham & Worts, a Canadian distilling concern with an international business when they acquired the share capital of George Ballantine and Son. One of the new owner's first actions was to purchase a distillery at Miltonduff, near Elgin in the heart of Speyside, and licence it to Ballantine's.